The requirements for admission to the Ph.D. program are:
- The completion of a bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited College or University
- GPA of 3.0 or better or its equivalent
- The successful completion of intermediate microeconomic and macroeconomic theory*
- Acceptable GRE scores on verbal, quantitative, and analytical components (the department does not have threshold GRE scores for admission)
- Three academic reference letters
- A brief statement of personal academic goals
A master's degree in economics is not a requirement.
*If you do not meet these prerequisites, your application will be considered incomplete. Grades for the prerequisites must be posted on your transcripts at the time of application. You may apply as a non-matriculated student at the University of Utah to complete these requirements. These courses do not count towards your graduate degree program once admitted.
International students must demonstrate their proficiency in English, by taking the TOEFL or the IELTS examination. The Graduate School requires a minimum of 550 (213 on computer-based exam or 80 on iBT exam) or better on the TOEFL, or a 6.5 on the IELTS. The TOEFL is preferred by our department. A strong speaking score (25 or higher) is particularly important if you wish to receive funding.
We recommend completing all GRE and TOEFL exams by December 15. To ensure that scores reach Admissions in a timely manner, please provide ETS with the following codes:
University of Utah: 4853
Department of Economics: 1801
Preparation in mathematics through calculus, statistics, and linear algebra is strongly recommended. It may be necessary for students not fully prepared for a graduate program to take remedial courses. Students who lack the proper background in micro and macroeconomic theory, statistics, and mathematics must take courses to remedy these deficiencies prior to their first year of study.
Detailed information on the University of Utah Graduate School admissions policies can be found at http://admissions.utah.edu/apply/graduate
The Ph.D. program is scheduled so that the courses are offered in a sequence; therefore, it is only possible to start the Ph.D. program in the fall.
The Fall application deadline is February 1st. Applicants will hear back approximately mid-May.
Applications to our PhD program are made online through Apply Yourself.
- Please upload all materials directly to Apply Yourself.
- Letters of recommendation are completed online and submitted directly through Apply Yourself. Please confirm with your recommenders before submitting your application that they have e-mail and internet access and will be able to complete the process online.
- Please send official documents directly to the Office of Admissions (see mailing address below), not the Economics Department.
- The Economics Department cannot waive the application fee.
If you have further questions, please see our ADMISSIONS TIPS AND FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS page.
University of Utah
201 South 1460 East, Room 250 S
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112-9057