MStat Program Admissions
Admission Requirements for the MStat degree in Econometrics
1. Completion of a bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited College or University.
2. Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better.
3. Successful completion of Intermediate Microeconomic Analysis (Econ 4010 or equivalent), Intermediate Macroeconomic Analysis (Econ 4020 or equivalent), Calculus 1, 2 & 3, and two semesters of basic statistics with a B- or better.*
4. Three academic letters of reference.
5. Short statement of academic and personal goals (no more than two pages).
*If you do not meet these prerequisites, your application will be considered incomplete. Grades for the prerequisites should be posted on your transcripts at the time of application. These requirements may be completed at any accredited university, including as a non-degree seeking student at the University of Utah. These courses do not count towards your graduate degree program once admitted.
International students must demonstrate their proficiency in English. The University requires a minimum of 80 on the TOEFLiBT exam, 105 on Duolingo, or 6.5 on the IELTS. For questions about the English Proficiency requirement, including approved non-test demonstrations of proficiency, please visit this page.
The MStat Program Admissions Committee will reviews applications for entrance into the program for Fall and Spring Semesters. The application deadline for Fall admission is April 1st and for Spring admission it is November 1st. Applicants will receive notice of acceptance or non-acceptance from the Economics Admission Committee on or before May 15th for Fall Admission and on or before December 15th for Spring admission.
To ensure that TOEFL scores reach the Economics Department for Fall admittance in a timely manner, plan to take the exam no later than February 15th for Fall admission and September 15th for Spring admission. It takes ETS approximately six weeks to release the results of TOEFL scores. These results must reach the Economics department no later than April 1st for Fall admission and November 1st for Spring admission. Please provide ETS with the following codes to ensure accurate delivery when taking the exam:
University of Utah: 4853
Economics Department: 1801
More detailed information on the University of Utah Graduate School admissions policies can be found at http://admissions.utah.edu/apply/graduate/
Additionally, information about international graduate admissions may be found at http://admissions.utah.edu/apply/international/graduate.php
Applications to our Master of Statistics program are made online through the Slate application system.
- Please upload all materials directly to Slate.
- Letters of recommendation are completed online and submitted directly through Slate. Please confirm with your recommenders before submitting your application that they have e-mail and internet access and will be able to complete the process online. Letters of recommendation must be submitted by the recommender by the application deadline to be considered.
- The Economics Department cannot waive the application fee.
- Access the application at: https://futureu.admissions.utah.edu/apply/. After an application is submitted, applicants can login to their application status portal at https://futureu.admissions.utah.edu/status to track letters of recommendations, submit additional transcripts and other materials, withdraw their application, and view their decision.
Admissions Tips and FAQs
If you have additional questions please see our Frequently Asked Questions page.