Master's Program Admissions Tips and FAQ
- Our Admissions committee meets very soon after the deadline. Please strive to complete your application by that date. If any materials are missing from your application, you may not receive full consideration.
- Take the GRE (and TOEFL if required) early enough so that your scores arrive well before the deadline. Test scores should be sent from ETS directly to the Office of Admissions (not to the Economics Department) for the quickest processing. The code is 4853.
- The Office of Admissions is a completely separate office from the Economics Department. If you need to check on receipt of materials you have sent to the Office of Admissions, please contact them directly at 801-581-8761.
- Please upload all materials directly into the ApplyYourself application system. If you need to add more materials after you have submitted your application, you may do so through the “Post-Submission” area. Items mailed to the Economics Department will not be accepted.
- If you need to update your application profile, log in to ApplyYourself and:
- Select the Profile button at the top of the screen.
- Make the necessary edits to profile name, email address, birth date and/or zip code in the Account Profile window that opens.
- Select the Update Account button.
- You cannot edit other application areas (e.g. Application Type, Program Information, Educational History, etc.) after submission. If you need to update your application record, please contact the Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (801) 581-8761.
- Letters of recommendation are completed online and submitted directly into the ApplyYourself system. Before beginning your application, please confirm with your recommenders that they have access to e-mail and the Internet and will be able to complete the process online.
You may upload unofficial transcripts to the application system, and if you are accepted you will be then be asked to have all official transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions.
The Statement of Purpose is an important part of your application. Take the time to write a great one, and make sure it is no more than two pages.
For the MA/MS program, a minimum of 300 on Verbal and Quantitative sections combined is required. For the MStat, we do not have threshold scores for admission. Scores should be recent, no more than a few years old.
It's possible this requirement could be waived for you. Check the Office of Admission's website for more information on the Graduate English Proficiency requirement.
Application numbers and acceptance rates will vary from year to year. For the MA/MS, we usually receive 30-35 applications and accept most applicants who have met the minimum requirements (3.0 undergrad GPA, GRE 300, prerequisites, complete application). For the MStat, we usually receive 14 or 15 applications for Fall admission and 5-6 for Spring admission, and accept most applicants who have met the minimum requirements (3.0 undergrad GPA, GRE completed, prerequisites, complete application).
No, prerequisites must be completed before submitting your application to the program.
- MA/MS Prerequisites: Intermediate Micro- and Macroeconomics (Econ 4010 and 4020), Econometrics (Econ 4650) with a 3.0 (B) average or above.
- MStat Prerequisites: Calculus 1, 2, and 3; Intermediate Micro- and Macroeconomics (Econ 4010 and 4020), and 2 semesters of basic statistics.
Notification for fall semester start are posted around June 1. Notification for spring semester start are posted around Dec 15. You will receive your notification by the e-mail provided in your application.
I-20s for international students are processed and mailed by the Office of Admissions. Processing times will vary.
Please see the Financial and Business Services website for general graduate tuition rates.
Here are a few resources that other students have used, not necessarily endorsed by our department:
- In Sync Translation Service (877-468-0322)- www.insyncinterpreters.com/contact/
- Linguistica International (866-908-5744) – http://www.linguisticainternational.com/
- AACRAO Foreign Education Credential Service-- Must request a Course-by-Course Evaluation. www.aacrao.org/international/foreignEdCred.cfm
- Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. www.ece.org -- Must request a Course-by- Course Report
- International Education Research Foundation, Inc. www.ierf.org -- Must request a Detail Report
- World Education Services, Inc. www.wes.org Must request a Course-by-Course Report
Yes, you will need to submit all new materials and use a different e-mail address for your new application. The ApplyYourself application system does not have the capacity to re-use applications from previous terms.
When an applicant or recommender has questions on technical issues related either to the online applications or recommendations, please connect with the ApplyYourself (Hobson’s) end user support team.
Search the FAQs by entering keywords or by searching through all the categories. If the support articles don’t answer the question, create a case by selecting the Contact Support button.