Admission Requirements for the MS/MA degree in Economics
1. Completion of a bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited college or university.
2. Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better.
3. Successful completion of Intermediate Microeconomic Analysis (Econ 4010 or equivalent), Intermediate Macroeconomic Analysis (Econ 4020 or equivalent) and Principles of Econometrics (Econ 4650 or equivalent) with a B- or better.*
4. Combined verbal and quantitative GRE score of 300 or higher (waived if undergrad GPA is 3.0 or better).
5. Three academic letters of reference.
6. Short statement of academic and personal goals (no more than two pages).
7. TOEFL score of 550 or better (or IBT 80) or IELTS of 6.5 or above for international students.
*If you do not meet these prerequisites, your application will be considered incomplete. Grades for the prerequisites must be posted on your transcripts at the time of application. You may apply as a non-matriculated student at the University of Utah to complete these requirements before applying to the Master's program. These courses do not count towards your graduate degree program once admitted.
The Economics Master's Program Admissions Committee will reviews applications for entrance into the program for Fall and Spring Semesters. The application department deadline for Fall admission is April 1st and for Spring admission it is November 1st. Applicants will receive notice of acceptance or non-acceptance from the Economics Admission Committee on or before June 1st.
To ensure that GRE scores reach the Economics Department for Fall admittance in a timely manner, plan to take the exam no later than February 15th of the year of application. It takes ETS approximately six weeks to release the results of GRE scores. These results must reach the Economics department no later than April 1st for Fall admission. Please provide ETS with the following codes to ensure accurate delivery when taking the exam:
University of Utah: 4853
Economics Department: 1801
More detailed information on the University of Utah Graduate School admissions policies can be found at http://admissions.utah.edu/apply/graduate/
Additionally, information about international graduate admissions may be found at http://admissions.utah.edu/apply/international/graduate.php
Applications to our Master's program are made online through Apply Yourself. Please upload all materials directly into the Apply Yourself system.
If you have additional questions please see our Frequently Asked Questions page.