Consult the Handbook for Theses and Dissertations and follow all guidelines provided by the Graduate School's Thesis Office. The steps below are meant only to supplement the processes outlined in that handbook.
- Decide with your committee chair during which semester you will be ready to defend. If you would like to graduate in the same semester, your defense date must precede the deadline for format approval listed on the Graduate School's website.
- Coordinate with all committee members to find three dates that the majority of them can attend. Attendance via Skype or similar is acceptable.
- Submit the Dissertation Defense Request form.
- The advising team will reserve a room in Bldg 73 or 72 and send you the reservation confirmation.
- We recommend you visit the space at least a day before your defense to become familiar with the space and its resources. If you need cords to connect to a projector or TV, the main department office has some available for check-out.
- Take a copy of the Supervisory Committee Approval form to your defense in case the committee members are prepared to sign off on it afterward.
- When your dissertation has received final approval from your committee chair, you will need to submit it to the Thesis Office for release.