Upcoming Events and Activities
Recent Activities and Events
HESA Spring Speaker Series: Dr. Matthew Greenwood-Nimmo Faculty of Business and Economics University of Melbourne "Measuring the Connectedness of the Global Economy" Tuesday, March 3, 2015 Rasmussen Library, OSH 336 3:30 PM- 5:00 PM
- HESA Spring Speaker Series: Dr. Perry Mehrling, Economics, Barnard College,"A 20th Century History of Money and Finance",Friday, February 20, 2015, Rasmussen Library, OSH 336,11:00 am - 12:30 PM
The Colloquium for the Advancement of Knowledge in Economics (CAKE) Talk 12:00PM to 1:00PM, Rasmussen Library, OSH 336 December 5th: Rick Haskell, “Using ROC Analysis to Strengthen Propensity Score Matching’s Causal Claims”.
The Colloquium for the Advancement of Knowledge in Economics (CAKE) Talk 12:00PM to 1:00PM, Rasmussen Library, OSH 336December 12th: Eric Sjӧberg, “Associations Between Air Pollution During the First Trimester of Pregnancy, Preterm Birth and the Economics Costs to the Health Care System”.
The Colloquium for the Advancement of Knowledge in Economics (CAKE) Talk 12:00PM to 1:00PM, Rasmussen Library, OSH 336 November 21st: Alex Kangas, “The Collective Action Problem of Capitalists and Golden Age of Capitalism”.
- Modern American Race Relations and Institutional Violence Panelists: Professor Edmund Fong, Political Science Department, Sim Gill, Salt Lake County District Attorney Thursday, November 20th, 2:00PM Hinckley Caucus Room (OSH 255)
- HESA Fall 2014 Speaker Series: Friday, November 14, 2014 1:30-2:30 PM, Randy Albelda, Economics, University of Massachusetts, Boston “The New Vulnerable: Low-Income Workers in Low-Wage Jobs” Heterodox Economics Student Association (HESA) Speaker Series,HESA 2014 Fall Semester Speaker Schedule
- Dane Goodfellow, President and Co-Founder, Digital Learning Alliance, "Working in economics with the government and nonprofits". Internships offered. November 13, 2014, Rasmussen Library, OSH 336.
- Harris Simmons, U of U Alum and Chair and CEO of Zions Bank,“The State of Banking in the Wake of the Financial Crisis,” on Monday, November 10, 2014 at 11:30 AT THE ALUMNI HOUSE.
- HESA Speaker Series:November 7, 2014, Rudi Von Arnim, "Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP): Trade Negotiations and Macro Models."
- Work-in-Progress Brown Bag Talks The Colloquium for the Advancement of Knowledge in Economics. Jason Whittle, “Conceptualizing Asymmetric Costs and Tipping Points: The Macroeconomic and Climate Confluence.”October 31, 2014,1, Noon to 1:00PM,
- Western States Graduate Workshop, October 25, 2014, Presentations
- "Hot Topic" Workshop Steve Reynolds, PH.D.Economic Situation in Thailand Wednesday October 22, 2014 Time: 2:00-3:00PM Location: SFEBB 3170 Click Here to RSVPClick Here for More Information
- Work-in-Progress Brown Bag Talks The Colloquium for the Advancement of Knowledge in Economics Friday, 9/26/2014, Noon to 1, JJR Library(OSH 336) Gabriel Lozada, "Initial Yield as a Forecast of Constant-Duration or Constant-Maturity Bond Portfolio Return near Twice Duration"
- Work-in-Progress Brown Bag Talks
The Colloquium for the Advancement of Knowledge in Economics
Friday, 9/26/204, Noon to 1, JJR Library(OSH 336)
Gabriel Lozada, "Initial Yield as a Forecast of Constant-Duration or Constant-Maturity Bond Portfolio Return near Twice Duration"
- September 19, 2014 - Dept. Annual Potluck
2014 Tanner Human Rights Center Conference: Building Peace in the 21st Century.This February, the Tanner Center for Human Rights will host scholars, activists, and students from around Utah and around the world to consider growing threats to peace in the 21st century:environmental degradation, economic inequality, and terroristic violence. The conference is free and open to the public. You can find the schedule at [link to the brochure], and you can learn more about the Tanner Center at www.humanrights.utah.edu.
- Resume workshop with John Whittle-Vice President of Operations, Goldman Sachs. Hosted by the ECON Undergrad SAC. Tuesday November 19, 2013, 3:30-5 PM Rasmussen Library
- "Beyond Shock and Awe: The Political Economy of US Interventionalism" with Allan Nairn, an award-winning American investigative journalist, Friday, November 8, 2013 1:30-3:30 PM
- "A Career Conversation" hosted by the Economics Undergrad SAC and Career Services with Alumni Panel David Stringfellow-Utah State Auditor, Candace Ware-Utag legislative Auditor General, Jason Sills-Backcountry.com, and Steven Schneiter-Morgan Stanley. Tuesday October 29, 2013 3:30-5 PM.
- Effective Practices for Economists in Hybrid Course Design Featuring:Necati Celik (creator/instructor, Econ 4020 hybrid Course) and Rick Haskell (creator/instructor, Econ 3100 hybrid course) Tuesday September 24, 2013, 3:30 PM
Economics "Career Conversation": Economic Analysis in Government and the Non-Profit Sector Featuring Carrie Mayne, Chief Economist, Utah Department of Workforce Services , and Allison Rowland, Director of Research and Budget, Voices for Utah Children,Tuesday Spetember 17, 2013
- Hinckley Institute Forum: "Finance in the Global Economy: Insights into Capital Development," featuring Economics Professors Cihan Bilginsoy, Korkut Erturk, and Lance Girton. Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 10:45 am, Hinckley Caucus Room. Co-sponsored by the Economics Undergraduate Student Advisory Committee.
- Economics Young Alumni Conversation, featuring Brigham Mellor (U of U Econ 2007), Economic Research Manager, Economic Development Corporation of Utah, and
Jordan Smith (U of U Econ 2011), Operations Analyst, Goldman Sachs. Thursday, April 18, 3:00 pm, JJR Library (OSH 336). Sponsored by the Department of Economics and the Econ Undergraduate
Student Advisory Committee.
Department of Economics/HESA Speaker Series 2013/2014
- "Cap and Trade: Critical Step Forward or Band-Aid in Reversing Climate Change?" with Robin Hahnel, Professor Emeritus , Department of Economics, American University and Hans Erhbar, Professor, Department of Economics, University of Utah. Friday April 18, 2014
- "Private Equity at Work: When Wall Street Manages Main Street" with Eileen Appelbaum, of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, Friday March 28, 2014
- "The Past, Future, and Economic Significance of Energy" with Steve Bannister, PhD student in the Department of Economics. Friday March 21, 2014
- "New Pathways for a De-Carbonizing Economy" with Juliet Schor from Boston College, Department of Sociology. February 28, 2014
- "Crisis of Capitalism? Crisis of Theory?" an open day of political-economy,Crisis of Capitalism? The Financial Crisis and its Aftermath, speaker: Professor Lance Girton (University of Utah),Crisis of Theory? The History of Radical Political-Economy in US Universities, speakers: Professor E.K. Hunt (University of Utah), Professor Korkut Erturk (University of Utah), and Professor Jerry Gray (Willamette University), Chair: Professor Codrina Rada (University of Utah) Friday November 22, 2013
- "Arctic Games: Sustainable Governance Options of Arctoc Natural Resources" with Eric Sjoberg, Department of Economics, University of Utah. November 1, 2013"An Integrated approach to Climate, Energy and Development" featuring Tariq Banuri of City and Metropolitan Planning and the Department of Economics, University of Utah, September 27, 2013
- "Gezi Park and the 2013 uprising in Turkey" featuring Anil Aba, Gunseli Berik, Nilufer Cagatay, and Kerem Cantekin from the Department of Economics, University of Utah, September 20, 2013.
Department of Economics/HESA Speaker Series 2012/2013
Dr. Ramaa Vasudevan, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Department of Economics "QE through the prism of the Barings crisis in 1890" April 12, 2013
- Dr. Danile Tavani, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Department of Economics "Endogenous technical change in classical growth models" April 12, 2013
Emeritus Professor, E.K. Hunt, University of Utah, Department of Economics "The Relevance of studying History of Economic Thought Today" March 29, 2013
- Prof. Dr. Klaus-Jürgen Grün, Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main, Department of Philosophy "The Concept of Alienation and the Idea of 'Praxis' in Karl Marx' philosophy" March 27, 2013
- Anwar Shaikh,The New School for Social Research, March 22, 2013
- Peter Skott, University of Massachusetts-Amherst,Department of Economics and Amitava Dutt, Notre Dame, Department of Political Science "Accumulation, Growth and Distribution in Post Keynesian Models" March, 1, 2013
- Jaewhan Kim, University of Utah, Public Health "Disparities in Patient Experiences with Care in a Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH)" January 31, 2013
- Dylan Fitz, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics "Development Chutes and Ladders: A Joint Impact Evaluation of Asset and Cash Transfers in Brazil" January 29, 2013
- Daniela Zapata, Georgia State University, Georgia Health Policy Center "Health Insurance Coverage and Children's Cognitive Outcomes" January 24, 2013
- Eric Sjoberg, Stockholm University, Department of Economics "Political Influence on Environmental Sanction Charges in Swedish Municipalities" January 22, 2013
- Amanda Weinstein, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics "Local Labor Market Restructuring in Shale Gas Booms" January 17, 2013
- Dean Baker, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR) "The Downturn: How we got here and why it will be long." Novermber 14, 2012
- Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay, Indian Statistical Institute-New Dehli, Department of Economics "The National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme in India: Implementation and Effects" October 26, 2012
- The Western States Graduate Workshop in Economics, October 20th, 2012
Department of Economics/HESA Speaker Series 2011/2012
- Subhasish Dugar, University of Calgary Department of Economics "Workshops on Behavioral Game Theory and Laboratory Experiments" May 3, 2012
- Rudi Von Arnim, University of Utah, Department of Economics "Globalization as coordination failure: A Keynesian perspective" April, 13 2012
- Lance Taylor, New School for Research, Department of Economics "Maynard's Revenge:Keynesianism and the crisis & Real and financial cycles and growth" April 6, 2012
- James Galbraith, University of Texas-Austin, LBJ School of Public Affairs "The Short Strange Life of the Keynesian Revival-and What it Left Out" March 2, 2012
- Thomas Palley, New America Foundation "From Financial Crisis to Stagnation: The Destruction of Shared Prosperity and the Role of Economics" March 2, 2012
- Minqi Li, University of Utah, Department of Economics "Peak Energy, Climate Change and The Limits to Global Economic Growth" February 17, 2012
- Codrina Rada, University of Utah, Department of Economics February 10, 2012
- Ken Jameson, University of Utah, Department of Economics "Institutions and Economic Development: The State of the Debate" January 20, 2012
- Al Campbell, University of Utah, Department of Economics "The Ideology and Practice of the Mondragon Workers' Co-Ops" January 12, 2012
- Peter Ho, University of Denver, Department of Economics "Rethinking Trade and Commercial Policy Theories: Development Perspectives" December 2, 2011
- Armon Rezai, Vienna University of Economics and Business "Greenhouse Gas and Economic Growth" November 11,2011
- Gunseli Berik, University of Utah, Department of Economics, September 23,2011
- Marco Missaglia, University of Pavia, Department of Economics "Post Keynesian Macroeconomics and Money" March 11, 2011
- Ilene Grabel, University of Denver, Josef Korbel School of International Studies, February 11, 2011